PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Austrian cable car accident - Update
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2005, 13:27
tecpilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems to me this could be an really important thread. We, the PPRUNERS are on a very interesting point. We leave the accident level and turning into a principle discussion about helicopter safety. Thats the same situation now in the Alp countries. The public and the helicopter operators are splitted into the same two parties we have here on PPRUNE.
I hope we all understand how important this point is to the whole business. No question we have a risk in the business. On many points we in the helicopters are able the rise the safety factor, but on the other side it is very expensive or impossible to exclude some other risk factors.

It's easy to say close all traffic, all cable cars, all... and saving human lifes.

But, as i wrote before if we want to exclude all risk factors we have to stay in bed. Try to haul the concrete by snowmobile. How many accidents we have with snowmobiles and skier? A lot. OK, close the hole area in front of any construction work.

How many accidents we have with cars? Ok, close the areas around streets.

Don't activate nuclear plants if people could be hurt in case of a technical malfunction. OK, safety area at least 30 miles.

How many people get hurt by helicopters ?
1. direct on turning chopper blades - a lot.
2. direct by downed ships during take off or landing - a lot.

OK, close the area around turning helicopters. Prohibit take off or landing via every people on ground.

I do not dispute that in case of an engine failure or other technical malfunction the pilot will try to bring to ship out of any people on ground. But we have a lot of accidents after all people on ground get hurt. OK, they were standing on the false place.

Why we discuss about the safety of non involved people on ground? Let's talk about our own safety. If the allmighty FAA have safe rules to external loads, why it is possible to fly with singles out of land marks? Why with singles and non IR equipped a/c at night? Why is it possible to make construction work on high voltage pylons sitting on a self constructed board outside a MD 500, rotors turning only a some inches away from the cables?
What if the news chopper chrashed in the US, have killed some people on the ground or fired up the building. No news choppers, sorry, no helicopters above cities?