PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Crew Pay Ballot Have You Had Enough
Old 8th Sep 2005, 09:50
sukigirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply tudor, your right, a small thing like that would make a difference.
now i dont mean to slide of this forums topic but i have heard that our union are taking our company to court for screwing us out of our leave. for example if you want to take 2 weeks of you have to take 14 days of your leave, if your lucky, virgin will roster you 2 days of before your leave, these are called buffer days. Apart from that they dont inlude your days of, after your leave the next day you go straight back to work. its not like that for office staff and grounds staff. If they want 2 weeks of they take 10 days leave because they include their days of in between. Many times i have taken say 10 days leave in a month but still worked 14 days when we are supposed to do no more that 21 days in a month. (so therefore i only really had 7 days leave) when complaining to the company i was basically told that 'they were basically allowed to take there pound of flesh if we have leave in the month!' nice! how proffesional.
What company do you know that says to its staff 'right i see your taking your annual paid holiday this month, in that case can you work as many of the weekends to make up for it' ?!!
This has been going on for 21 years, how have they got away with it? We are supposed to get 28 days paid leave a year which is very good i think, however we as cabin crew are NOT getting that full entitlement of leave.
This may not seem like it has anything to do with this forum but it does all boil down to why we deserve more pay and why are we treated so differently to office and ground staff?
Anyway if this is true about the union taking virgin to court i wish them the best of luck, i dont really see how they couldnt win.

Sorry just one more example, many crew like to take a whole month of for their wedding, for the planning, honeymoon etc. To do so they have to take 21 days of their leave and then 7 days UNPAID LEAVE!! (as this happened to me and many other people i know) now surely if your taking 21 days leave thats a whole month of right there, you shouldnt have to pay to have your then entitled days of as well!!
Thats my rant about leave over with now, but i wanted to bring this to the cabin crews attention as i often find many crew are not aware this is happening with all of us untill its made clear. If we all fight against this and lean on the union a bit more (though if the rumour is true we wont need to) then this will all be sorted fairly eventually.