PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gay Pride?
Thread: Gay Pride?
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2005, 09:19
An Teallach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16B

You may notice that the gay side of the argument has never preached against the validity of the the other sexual orientation, or their relationships. Personally, I'm very happy that at least one straight couple got together and I'm lucky to have valued relationships with the straight couples in my extended family and circle of friends.

Do I give a tuppenny toot whether birds, bees or educated fleas do it? No I don't.

If Aircraftsman / woman Bloggs were obviously under-performing, might I ask if everything was OK at home? I may well do. I can see no reason why such an interview need go beyond a discussion of human relationships whatever the gender / sexuality of the participants. The chances are the problem will be debt / money / homesickness (serviceperson's or partner's) / health / a problem with a parent or other family member.

Those problems are universal and no different whether the person is gay or straight.

I once returned from detached duty to find a (married) lad had 'come out' in my absence. The casework was well down the line. He had already been told to bring a note from his wife! (I kid you not). I was then ordered by DLS(RAF) to interview the lad to get "more explicit details of his sexual activities"! I asked DLS what the **** for? Were we to fire him only if he had gone beyond 1st, 2nd 3rd or 4th base ?!?

Needless to say, I sat the lad down, told him the purpose of the interview and ordered him to tell me to **** off and mind my own business: An order he was most relieved and happy to comply with. I aksed the lad if he wanted me to drag my heels over this as he could remain on the payroll for months. He replied that he wanted out ASAP as he already had a far better-paid job lined up with BWOS. DLS somehow managed to fire him without any of the 'required' graphic details.

Overall, I am of an older vintage than some of the other gay posters on this thread. Certainly as far as any professional or social interaction were concerned, I dare say the differences between me and youngsters like Tablet will be far greater than the differences between me and thee, 16B. You never know, since on meeting me you would never know I was gay in a month of Sundays, we might have been good friends in the past.

I couldn't give a toss whether anyone approves or disapproves of gay people. All I ask is that you don't fixate on that one (professionally irrelevant) part of our make-up. Look beyond it and you might find some good friends and sound people.