PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should Australian tourists rescued from New Orleans be billed for their rescue?
Old 8th Sep 2005, 09:17
heated ice detector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understood that when you are overseas on your aussie passport you have the full protection of the consular,
I am disapointed that the Aus gov challenger and BBJ are not used for these purposes, speed can be vital, and I am sure a Politician could fly mainline for a couple of days if he had to whilst his a/c was away.
I remember being disgusted at the time of the Bali bombing when the injured were made to fly in Hercs for ten plus hours to Perth hospitals 3-4 hours to Darwin and the GG Holingworth was using a chalenger in Galipoli and the PM set off to Mexico a few days after to some comference. as far as I know neither offered their aircraft to help the injured get a faster trip to a burns unit.
Maybe they were not available or there is another reason that they were not used but I suspect it was ego and they probably did'nt want the great unwashed bleeding on their carpets however I could be wrong.