PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enstrom Corner
Thread: Enstrom Corner
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2005, 06:15
Freewheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Enstrom website has a data sheet that gives weights & performance. There's been an Enstrom executive appear on these forums on a 480 thread somewhere who should be able to give you the overhaul times.

Sticking with the F model, I believe the transmissions are an exchange item(?) but the engine & the inspections should be able to be done in your average workshop. I understand there's some issue about the turbo having a different approval. Probably not much of an issue, even if true. Check this with your workshop.

The current model's DOC equates to about Aus $200 an hour. This puts it under the R44, but there are a few people starting to muster with R44's to give themselves more margin. I suppose if I really had to, I'd rather have an Enstrom's inertia and boot than either robbo's kiddy seats, which probably have the esky under them anyway.

On the other hand, the blades droop quite a bit at rest so you get to relax a bit while everything stops - there's no brake. While a bit better than the robbos, the turbo will be VERY hot not far off the ground, still well within spinifex reach. Look after your turbo, you won't go far without it. Some people have a sworn hatred of the clutch arrangement. There's a whole series of things in slightly strange places that some people hate and others just accept.

If I were taking the cocky or training a new kid for the block, no contest. You won't have problems carrying the weight, the fat ones won't squeeze you onto the skid, there's enough power for any DA you're likely to encounter and most importantly you won't ever have to buy the first round at the end of the day!

You don't have to buy a whole helicopter just to get floats either.

And anyway badbreath, isn't beauty in the eye of the beerholder after all?