PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Austrian cable car accident - Update
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2005, 22:31
Cyclic Hotline

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
JAR-Ops 4 attempts to address the issue of risk analysis and responsibility.

Code of Practice

X – CONGESTED HOSTILE OPERATIONS
Operations in congested hostile environment can be conducted utilising helicopters certificated or approved, in accordance with JAR-OPS 4 subparts F and G. In addition the following applies:
a) Initial training and recurrent training
Congested hostile area operation technic, specific precaution to insure third parties protection, normal and emergency procedures for single engine helicopter operation.

Maybe there is some value to more regulation. I have to totally agree with the comments of effortless. You would not be permitted to lift a load over the top of the general public with a forklift, or crane, so why would you do it with a helicopter? Basic safety training on any lifting devices teaches you to never stand under any load. For anyone involved to think that just because it is not specifically prohibited that it must be OK, simply makes me cringe.

This entire accident defies all safe operating practices and common sense. Not just for helicopter operations, but from a basic industrial safety stand-point. I will be even more shocked if there are no Health and Safety regulations in Austria, that also address this issue.