PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An Honest & Uncensored Debate About Jet2
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2005, 22:02
Chuffbaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too worked for Jet2 and have since moved on. There are a lot of issues raised here that I believe have been submerged for far too long. If there was ever an airline which is in desperate need of collective representation (a Union) then Jet2 must be the prime candidate.

I personally have a great deal of respect for PM's drive and energy and one has to admire his business acumen. However, I would absolutely agree that there serious problems concerning the lack of a safety culture at Channex. Most concerns raised by crew are disregarded and all the critical decisions are taken by ID/PM who have neither the depth of knowledge nor qualifications to consider the flight safety implications of under-resourcing, undermanning and generally operating to the tightest possible margins. It may be good for profits in the short term, but my personal view is that the balance is firmly on the commercial rather than safety side.

My advice to my former colleagues would be to leave when the opportunity arrives. I have yet to find anyone who regrets the decision to go because other airlines invariably offer better lifestyles, better pay and treat their employees with more respect. Channex seems to be forgetting that it is very much a pilots' market at the moment.

There is of course the issue of a punitive £30K bond and the fact that many former F27 crews relocated at their own expense to the northern bases. The company has of course knowingly put you over a barrel on this one, so if you cannot get out, you should focus your energy into setting up a Pilots Union. It is a legal entitlement and it will strengthen your position immeasurably when it comes to addressing the issues that concern you all.

Talk to BALPA en masse and take your case to the Chairman, Capt Mervyn Granshaw. A number of contacts made by various Channex employees directed to Reg Allen have been puzzlingly ineffectual over the last few years. If BALPA will not get involved, just set up your own for starters. No-one likes blowing the whistle to organisations like the CAA (not to mention the potential implications for any individual caught doing so by the management), but you clearly need the individual protection and collective bargaining power that a Union willl afford you. Other airlines find that it works much better for ALL parties than putting your head in the sand and thinking that any complainers must be pure malcontents or troublemakers.

Best of luck!

PS Try and stay "on message" if you are posting to this forum. It would be a shame if this thread had to be removed with the threat of legal action against potentially libelous posts.