PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jag display pilot
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2005, 20:25
Jackonicko

Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts
LP,

I meant what I said, but should perhaps justify what may have seemed OTT. Over the past few days, following a news item reminding me of the first Gulf War, and as the Jag Force runs down towards retirement, I (and I suspect some others) have been thinking a great deal about the Granby Jag blokes, who exemplify the virtues I described. From their boss, Bill P, to the most junior wingman, they were an extraordinary (yet at the same time typical) bunch.

There doesn't seem an obvious, non-sycophantic, acceptable way of saying "Thank You" to these blokes, collectively or individually. Hopefully no-one will be offended by a simple 'Thank You', however, and perhaps some will see past the naff rhetoric to the genuine feeling that underlies it.

An unlikely group of defence/aviation journos were in rural Oxfordshire today, for reasons various, and meeting this evening, the Jag Force came up in conversation. It felt entirely right to 'raise a glass'.

Tomorrow, perhaps, our thoughts will turn to other groups of airmen, equally deserving of our thanks and recognition. Perhaps we could leave it at that?