PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gay Pride?
Thread: Gay Pride?
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2005, 18:12
An Teallach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tend to agree, Beags. However, many thanks Mods for returning the thread to us, if only for the historical record. When compared to last year's effort (Sorry Scud, I was away and only caught the end of it) and the Rum, Sodomy and the Lash thread, it is an interesting testament to how an institution can change.

What used to happen was nothing other than institutionalised bullying, and it is obvious that most contributors found that distasteful, no matter which particular group was the target. If I tell you that sadly, the keenest bullies on this particular subject were the senior homosexuals (I speak from experience), you may rightly find it doubly distasteful.

On the apparent subject of the thread, we find that 2 of the openly gay chaps opined that a 'gay pride' event was not an appropriate event for uniformed Service participation, 2 did not express an opinion. Most of the apparently straight contributors did not express an opinion on that issue at all.

It is interesting to note that it was invariably the (apparent) anti's who lowered the tone by introducing the mechanics of particular forms of boudoir gymnastics.

Overall, we find there is far more that unites us than divides us:

We are all the type of folk who largely enjoy(ed) Serving.

We share an enjoyment of good-natured banter.

I find Pilgrim101 and I share an interest in fine Islay malt and the Venerable Beagle and I share a dislike for Salem-style witchhunting and quasi-religious charlatans.

Beags, I cannot offer any opportunity to pursue our shared interest! However, Pilgrim101, if you should ever have occasion to visit the more tasteful of our 2 Lowland cities; If you wish, drop me a PM and I'll take you to the Tasting Room and we can sample the non chill-filtered Cask Strength (120+ proof) variety. Don't worry, dress is comparable to the most relaxed of Officers Messes - our previous sartorial discussions on this thread would not apply!

Finally, I have up to now refrained from responding like for like and I offer this not as a personal attack but as a statement of fact. I find the most telling post from one of the most vocal anti's not on this thread, but here. It seems one contributor's over-weening need to order other people's lives extends from beyond the boudoir to how we should advertise our reunions.

I dare say many of us (gay, straight, black, white or whatever) could agree that all our times in the Service would be (or have been) much happier were it not for that type of person.

Last edited by An Teallach; 7th Sep 2005 at 18:24.