PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gay Pride?
Thread: Gay Pride?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2005, 08:07
tablet_eraser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, all I can say is that I have always known which way my sexuality was going and never made any choice concerning it. Sounds like that's the way nature intended for me. And as Scud points out, far more intelligent and expert people than you or I are rapidly coming to the conclusion that homosexuality is a part of nature. It's been in existence for thousands of years - and, indeed, it wasn't always the social evil it was considered to be not long ago. In Plato's Republic he set out an ordered list of human relationships based on the idea of forming a social hierarchy. And what was at the top? Homosexuals. In Ancient Greece it simply was not a problem. Where did we acquire our very different attitude? During the unenlightened Middle Ages. The first laws against homosexuality were enacted shortly after the Norman Conquest. And later on we developed other great ideas such as child labour, rampant sexism, slavery, and other concepts now discredited as contrary to natural justice.

Flap62, I think we can see here who needs to exert a little self control. I didn't say I don't always look at men lustfully, but I certainly don't exhibit your libidinous attitudes. I don't stand in a shower staring at other guys voyeuristically because that would go beyond the bounds of decency. If someone said they weren't happy showering with me, fine - we'd arrange a compromise. But most people don't have a problem.

Last time I was on exercise I was in a 12-man tent, sharing with a FS, Chf Tech, and 6 officers. None of them - including the 2 USMC officers so "indoctrinated", as you put it, in the ways of institutionalised discrimination against gay men, had an issue even though they know I'm gay. I didn't introduce myself as such (what an awfully rude thing to do!), but someone else had told them, in hushed tones, that they'd be sharing with a "fudge-packer", or one of your other delightful terms. They told him to f**k off and grow up.

Thank God I work with people who defend their friends and colleagues.