PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gay Pride?
Thread: Gay Pride?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2005, 12:37
Scud-U-Like

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've yet to meet a gay serviceman or woman who is into the whole gay pride scene. Gay pride is generally a bit of harmless fun, but it does have the effect of stereotyping gay men and I do not believe a uniformed military presence, at the hub of such an event, is dignified or appropriate. Unfortunately, we (service personnel who are gay) are taking the flak for the actions of some corporate comms/DORIS type, who thinks they understand (or doesn't care) how most gay people in the armed forces would wish to be portrayed.

On a separate issue, may I ask why some people in this debate feel the need to preface their comments (usually referring to anal sex) with phrases such as, "While I find the thought of gay sex abhorrent....."?

Firstly, such phrases assume the author knows exactly what gay men get up to in the sack. Not all gay men regularly engage in anal sex or find it pleasurable (many, of course, love it): some gay men try anal sex once or a few times and then rarely if ever engage in the practice, and others never try it at all. A researcher from the University of British Columbia (quoted in 5 May, 2005 issue of The Georgia Straight) puts the number of heterosexuals who regularly practice anal sex at between 30% and 50%. So, to stereotype people on the basis of their sexual practices is rather pointless.

As a gay man, there are aspects of vaginal sex (and I have tried it) that I find repulsive, but I do not to feel the need to declare this at every verse end.

Last edited by Scud-U-Like; 2nd Sep 2005 at 12:54.