PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gazelle: Flying, operating, buying
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2002, 06:14
LOOSE NUT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post BUYING/OWNING A GAZELLE

I learnt to fly heli's in R22's then progressed to R44's,still low time I thought of buying my own. .R44 Astro,then one day I saw an advert in an aviation magazine about an aution of MOD Aircraft and Engines, I promptly sent off for the catalogue(£10.00)and then spoke to the CAA about registering an ex-mil Gazelle, they basically told me it would only be given a Permit to Fly and only then after the history could be established and then verified and also a complete strip down would be necessary.I would not have had the slightest clue how to research for that information so I put that idea to bed and had a look at an old Jet Ranger that was at the top end of my budget,I was hugely disappointed with the interior/exterior condition although the times seemed good,however I wanted to own a heli I could be proud of so that idea was dropped as well,so it looked like my first heli was to be one of Frank's fine machines,that was until I saw the July(2001)edition of Pilot magazine in which there was a lengthy aritcle about ex-military Gazelles.. .At the begining of Febuary I first saw the heli I was to own and yes it was Love at first sight but my head over come these emotions and set to work checking times and history etc,then with a flight in the heli my heart kicked in again,but when we touched down my head took over once more and I thought that I should give it careful consideration with regards to the cost of running a gazelle which is more expensive than a B206 etc.. .After careful deliberations with my financial adviser(wife)it was agreed quite quickly that I should purchase the Gazelle, which I did before she changed her mind,I think she liked the luxury red carpets and cream leather seats that perfectly match(in my opinion)the bare metal respray in metallic burgundy with slight gold and silver stripes.. .Thats the story so far, I am due to do the conversion soon so when I have anyone who can read a map is welcome for a ride.I shall be using the heli for personnal transport ie business and pleasure so the Permit to fly should not restrict me to much (VFR only no night flying etc).. .I will let you know of any pitfalls when I find them,so has anyone got any questions,observations or advice because as with anything involving heli's I am all ears or eyes when Ppruneing.. .This is my first thread so be gentle with me.. . . . <small>[ 12 March 2002, 11:33: Message edited by: Heliport ]</small>