PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviate, Navigate, communicate
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2005, 12:14
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there are some very interesting points that have come out of this discussion.

Firstly whilst DFC may be technically correct that solent are their to provide a service for aircraft within CAS as he rightly says if London info provided the service many get from solent whilst outside CAS practically they would be swamped and we all know the funding is not their to do anything about it.

As IO540 says I have always found Solent provide a brilliant service to everyone operating in and around the CAS. I disagree that they try and get rid of you as soon as possible when routing to Bembridge or Sandown for example.

I0540 says picks up on the comment about "three aircraft known in the area." I think this is far to simplistic an approach. So far as a FIS is concerned places like Shoreham and Goodwood will often pass this sort of information and I agree it is not a lot of help.

However lets consider a typical flight from Shoreham to say Bembridge. What are your options?

1. As you leave Shoreham stay on their frequency until say Bognor and ask for a FIS. They will initially tell you something like three aircraft known to the west operating VFR - agreed not a lot of help BUT as you continue on route you will hear other inbound aircraft often reporting now at Littlehampton, 2,400 inbound - great, at least you now have an idea of conflicting traffic, its altitude and where to look. Next over to Goodwood. On initial call up they tell you five in the local area including a Pitts aerobating over Hayling Island up to 5,500 feet. Great, again you know where to look, where to avoid. Another comes on frequency inbound to Goodwood from Bembridge. OK there is a good chance he will cross my track. Next it is Solent and an aircraft is wanting a clearance but asked to hold at Hayling Island, another to look out for and finally having got mid way across the solent on to Bembride for their traffic pattern information.

2. Another option is to talk to London. Ok, but now you miss out on the aircraft inbound to Shoreham, inbound to Goodwood, aerobating and holding at Hayling. London may have some information for you but I bet most of the aircraft in the area if they are talking to anyone will be talking to Goodwood or Shoreham or Solent and not London.

3. Finally, get rid of Shoreham at Worthing (you are outside their zone) and don’t talk to anyone until you get to Bembridge. Great, but you are now totally devoid of any traffic information what so ever other than Shoreham's sign off with you, three know to the west.

I know which I would prefer!

Bembridge, like so many small fields, are friendly, always helpful and not usually over burdened with traffic calls. They are only to willing in my experience to tell Shoreham you couldn’t sign off with them. Why on earth not use them if you need to???