PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An Honest & Uncensored Debate About Jet2
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2005, 10:27
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
- CEO is a potentially dangerous bully who likes to shout and rant at anyone from Service Air to Check In staff to Pilots.. He reduced an Aircrew to tears in MJV recently prior to departure just because they used the APU on the ground.
A CEO who thinks absolutely nothing about interfering with a turnround & issuing B0110ckings especailly if his blessed APU is fired up on stand, & upsetting the entire crew. A crew, by the way who then had to operate a flight back to the UK in an upset state! Flight safety? Fit to fly?
CHIRP was designed for just this sort of thing. Happened once in a previous airline I worked for with the MD turning up on the FD before flight trying to 'encourage' the flight crew to accept his new cost saving idea of a 'voluntary' salary reduction! Unbelieveable! CHIRP Director got involved he felt it such a serious flight safety issue and the MD was warned that if it occured again his airside ID would be revoked.

- The use of APU for shutdown is now not permitted unless the cabin tempertature is +30 -10 - it's going to be a cold yorkshire winter for crews
Again, serious safety implications, both for passengers (as noted, the 'weaker' members of society may suffer with such a policy), not to mention flight crew performance at a critical time - pre-flight. CHIRP would seem a reasonable avenue once again if they just won't listen.....

- Roster stability is non-existant. We check-in with Crewing after every rotation to see what changes there are for the crew. It's like being on permanent standby - you can't plan a social life with any certainty.
I have worked under these conditions for a charter summer season and I was seriously fatigued at the end of it, without realising or understanding fatigue until it was too late. I made a serious safety error which was not picked up by the captain, probably for a similar reason and there but for the grace of God go I. Only solution is to stick it out and unify to force negotiation through a recognition agreement or to vote with your feet.

- It's been a hard summer for many. Frequently rostered for 7 days of duty. Sometimes only getting the legally required 1 day off. They are working towards 5 days max duty but it may be too little too late for some. Minimum rest between flying days is common. Finishing on a late(ish) and starting on an early has been frequent as well but seems to be improving a little lately.
Same as the point above.

There is a 737 operator just down the road in Doncaster which is actively looking for direct entry captains and experienced F/Os. They have 40+ years charter experience behind them and market leading terms and conditions. Starting pay is similar to that quoted on this thread, but the rest of the package is significantly better, with roster stability, block window protection (can't change a duty more than 2hrs off your rostered times or you can refuse it), no more than 3 early starts in a row and many more days off than CAP371. Oh, and you can sell some of those back if you want at £500 a day for a Captain or £350 a day for an F/O. And they operate out of Bournemouth and will soon start services out of Manchester. Crews are positioned by Hallmark cars or on scheduled flights, they don't have to pay for anything like this upfront, but with the company culture as it is very few would not pay out on the odd occasion there has been a cock-up to keep the ship on track. They have a superb safety culture and ranting and raving at staff is simply unheard off. Take a look if things are that bad. You could do a lot worse.

PP