PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline crews, your opinions please
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2005, 08:13
A-FLOOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airline crews, your opinions please

As part of a case study for my engineering course I am looking into CCTV/videophone communication and surveillance systems for airliners.

Some airlines have already fitted systems to look into the cabin from the flightdeck using conventional and IR cameras without having to leave your seat. Some make use of a retrofitted screen in the centre console, some are integrated into the EFB.

As you are probably aware, the cabin crew of the fateful Helios flight took over two hours to find out that both flightdeck crew had been incapacitated, enter the flightdeck and attempt to resuscitate the crew and/or make an emergency landing. While the investigation is still under way and it is probably not all that straightforward, my view is that if the cabin crew had the ability to "look" into the flightdeck from the cabin this tragedy could have been avoided.

Such a system might incorporate an expansion to the existing interphone system to integrate cameras and screens. If there is, for whatever reason, no response to a call from the cabin, the cabin crew would be able to see what the deal is and take immediate action.

I have in the past read fierce arguments against cameras on the flightdeck on PPRuNe, that's why I'm asking for your opinion. So:

- Do you think a way for flightdeck crew to look in the cabin using cameras improves safety?
- Vice versa (cabin to flightdeck)?

Note: Some airlines might choose to go one step further and use this system to record flightdeck crew performance. As this goes beyond the scope of this case study the system will probably not be designed to include recording capabilities, but please feel free to discuss.