PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mandala a/c crashes at Medan
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2005, 05:55
PK-KAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After summing up the TV coverage and a few calls,

It appears that the aircraft overran, over the ditch (following the tree line just below the runway start (no not the threshold)), the fence is also on that line, One engine (presumably the left) deposited between the fence and the first house before the road.

According to witnesses, the aircraft hit the front of that house nose up (slightly to the left of the 05 approach centerline), landed a few meters afterwards, followed the road, the second engine is deposited there... The main wreckage stopped just before the tree still to the left of the 05 approach centerline but almost directly below it.

Last night the NTSC announced that it found deformity in the compressor on one of the engines (did not specify which one AFAIK). Some of us down here are assuming it's the left engine based on a Mandala pilot's detail on PK-RIM's high EGT readings from the No.1 engine in recent months.

However, with a Garuda 734 single engining after departing Medan yesterday morning, speculation went about the fuel supply at Medan Airport, until the afternoon/evening NTSC announcement. The GA 734's (PK-GWW) number 2 engine have been problematic recently, however fuel is not entirely dismissed yet as a cause of the GA incident and the Mandala 732.

Swh,
1. Where in this thread did I write that the photo was taken AFTER the crash?
2. If you look, the road that runs from the top left to the bottom right of the circle is where the aircraft rested. It's not just trees there mate.

Call me a hoaxer if you like, but that was not the intention. Anyone can see that the photo has no PK-RIM wreck anywhere within it. The intention of the photo was to give an idea on where the aircraft came to a stop and what was surrounding the airport, which, until the NTSC's graphic experts releases the final diagrams of the aircraft's path, would give those who'd like to know a much better idea than those diagrams found in the media.

If you think my intention was to deliberately mislead people here, then I suggest you buy me a ticket to go to Medan so I can either provide a photo of the actual crash site, or if you'd like to punish me instead, assign me to start scraping charred body remains off the street!

Sorry if I can only provide the next best thing...

PK-KAR