PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training fixes
Thread: Training fixes
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2005, 05:51
Final 3 Greens

The problem on here is that some people insist on making everything so black and white.

We have WWW and SAS bollocking students for deceit and comparisons with false calls to 999, which is plainly illogical, since they are a criminal offence whereas failing to be aware of one's position as a PIC and seeking help is plainly not.

Yes, if you are lost, call D&D immediately, state the situation and ask for assistance.

If you are not lost, you won't need to.

But what about that uncertain feeling that low hour PPLs sometimes get, sure they planned the flight meticulously and are maintaining a solid VFR flight log, BUT maybe the weather is a little different to plan and that affects the view out of the window and makes it harder to triangulate the position. OR the winds aloft are stronger/weaker than forecast and the drift correction angle "feels wrong?"

Strictly speaking, the pilot is not lost, but there is some concern creeping into the edge of consciousness, starting to affect his/her ability to manage the workload.

Under those circumstances, a training fix is completely appropriate and sensible, because (a) it is providing training for D&D, (b) it is providing training for the PPL in consolidating his/her position under more challenging circumstances and (c) it may well avoid a more dangerous situation such as a CAS bust

WWW and SAS, you should reflect seriously on the merits of your postings and the impact on the low houred PPLs who read these threads and are influenced by such postings.

For the record, in 1996 with the princely total of 115 hrs, I found myself in a situation where I was starting to become concerned about position, due to the masking effect of wx and also a seriously stronger wind aloft. By taking a training fix over ground without many features, I was able to re-orient myself, safeguard against busting the Stansted zone and navigate safely back home. Whirly, had D&D declined the training fix, I would have escalated to an emergency, since the unavailability of the training fix would have made the situation more serious.

Now if you wish to argue with me about my decision, feel free to, but I called D&D afterwards, explained what happened, thanked them and was told that it was a completely appropriate use of the service.

Last edited by Final 3 Greens; 7th Sep 2005 at 06:21.