PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gate Gourmet/BA crisis - Gatwick to be Shafted!
Old 6th Sep 2005, 21:19
bealine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gate Gourmet/BA crisis - Gatwick to be Shafted!

Looks like poor old British Airways Gatwick will be shafted for the wasters' unofficial walkout last month at Heathrow!

We're being told that our short-haul operation is making huge losses (almost impossible to reverse when the company keeps on selling lower than low priced tickets on LGW flights) and unless we turn the corner by 2007 our short haul services will be a memory!

.........Making losses, my ar5e!!! There's some very fishy cooking of books going on at BA - Dirty Tricks stamped all over it!!!

(Indeed, it is rumoured by the "Conspiracy Theorists" that Rod Eddington and Willie Walsh may very well have engineered the whole Gate Gourmet fiasco between them in order to break the historic TU agreements and bulldoze new working practices into Terminal 5!!! If so, £35 million is a very cheap price to pay!!!)

It is very easy to show Gatwick making losses. However, when asked to show an individual aircraft's profit and loss account (which I did a few years ago) I was told it couldn't be done!

I put it to you that in a company the size of BA, accountants must be able to show the following sort of figures (if they don't, how would they know whether an individual aircraft is an asset or a liability?):

G-DOCY (for example) 1st Jan to 31st March

RECEIPTS
Pax Revenue
Cargo/Mail Revenue

OUTGOINGS
Fuel
Flying Crew Salary
Cabin Crew Salary
Ground Handling costs
Maintainance Costs
Landing Fees
Extraordinary Costs (pax compensation delays etc)
Contribution to Support Costs - Boardroom/Waterside/Jubilee House/ Compass Centre etc

If any of our accountants could fairly show LGW based services are loss-makers, I would be very shocked!!!

Last edited by bealine; 6th Sep 2005 at 21:37.