PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Discovery Channel '10 Greatest Helicopters'
Old 6th Sep 2005, 16:38
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Gunsss
Mi-26 great but only 25 (I think) in the World.
Why not the Mi-8/17 or Mi-24 that has won a few wars?
Reason given was simple: It's the biggest! Machines were chosen for being unique at what they do. Either price = R22, Big = Mi-24, Unique = Skycrane, etc. The Huey was chosen because it was said to embody what Joe Public think a Heli is. This due to it's numerous film appearances and that, irrespective of the machine actually shown, the sound track is more often than not, the double bladed Whop-Whop!

This prog was made by Discovery ch but followed a pure UK Ch5 ideal that it must be big OR brash OR noisy OR fast OR glitzy but the more of those in one item - the better.

As one who has only been in a heli twice in his life and knows little about them, I can say that it was jolly interesting and told me a lot more about them than I expected of a prog of this sort on this channel. They had real people talking about real machines doing real work and that goes some!

Biggest "Hoooolleeeee $heeeeeet" moment? Watching a techie work on power lines, whilst dangling in a kind of 'breeches buoy'. I knew that you put people onto the pylons but to get them to work on lines whilst you hover? Respect

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.