PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyjet failing to control costs
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2005, 14:35
Colonel Klink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tend to agree with the opinion stated above about the wastage at easyJet and side with NSF that dontdoit is an idiot.
However, there is some wastage at all airlines and easyjet may be a little worse than most given the required positioning for flight and cabin crew, but has really got most of it's costs under control.
What it may not have under control is it's revenue. Virgin are currently charging a fuel surcharge of £48 per seat and under the current remarkable prices this is not unreasonable. Other carriers are doing the same and the average "joe public" probably also feels that this is fair. After all, if they go bust under the weight of staggering fuel-related debt, nobody wins.
The prices easyjet charges are still comparitively low (if you book early enough) or catch a flight at an unpopular hour, so £5 over 25 million customers would more than restore the balance.
The problem for me is that the 2005 pay review is due and is the company going to say that they cannot even afford even CPI becaue fuel costs are so high? Are the hardest working flight (and cabin crew) in the industry going to subsidise the companies profitability again just to satisfy the management?
Having made gains with many areas this year in cost control, the city was advised the profits this year would be similar to last; i.e the fuel cost balancing the savings. But the crews are working harder (and leaving faster) so it will be interesting to see the line of attack that easyJet uses to keep us moving towards the minimum wage!!!

Last edited by Colonel Klink; 9th Sep 2005 at 18:04.