PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concerns over RAF jet maintenance
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2005, 07:39
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Sentry at Waddo has just gone to civilian maintenance. I think Northrop has a long contract, can't remember the details as my interest level was low. Only thing is BAE will be a subcontractor.

The good news is that only one jet will be in the shed at anyone time.

Yonks ago, when we were fully dependent on Boeing for the software we set up an military team to create in-house software in Jovial. They had a few Boeing mentors who became Anglicised and they were very good. The brass used to marvel at their dedication while they got paid peanuts.

Anyway, we wanted the kit to do something, we could wander down the corridor, speak to a programmer, and often peek their interest. They would beaver away and often, a day or two later, you would be called in to see the result on the big screen.

The hierarchy slowed the implementation but at least we got the whole thing up and running. Without that team we would have had to get the wheels interested, write to the ministry, make a case, get it funded, approach Boeing and ask for a feasibility study.

One case was the compatibility issue between NE3A and E3D. It was simply a question of keyboards £=#. Boeing was pissed when they discovered it.

Another was multiple target simulation display. Boeing solution - one blip and n targets. RAF solution - one blip per target and formation manoeuvre!