PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue - Who's Telling the Truth?
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2005, 12:32
elektra

Timmeee et al,

I don't hate QF, don't hate anyone actually. Wasted emotion. But I don't understand how, when we all know that more passengers into OZ = more jobs overall, why people continue to say that this wonderfully managed airline cannot yet be subjected to open competition. If not now, WHEN?

If they were struggling and trying to restructure (Air Canada?) then I might see a case to give the, say a 3 year window. But these QF management people are openly praised as Lords of the Skies. It's nothing to do with Melbourne at all. Can they cope or not? If they need protection to stay alive then by definition they are not extremely well managed, they are just pampered. There isn't a third option.

You ask why this thread has moved frm VB to QF? Simple, its about competition. I lived in the corporate floors of TN at the time deregulation was being mooted to the absolute dismay of a high percentage of executives at both ends of Franklin St. They had every argument under the sun. But the sky didn't fall in and there are now way more domestic jet jobs (and lets not forget there are jobs other than pilots!) than ever there would have been if the pro-regulation/duopoly mob had had their way.

On what possible grounds do we defend the QF monopoly on Australian rights across the Pacific. Or on anyones rights? QF are well run, have a modern fleet and polite, fun-filled enthusiastic staff with stellar, cutting edge management and leadership talent. Right? Why couldn't they cope?

And if not now, WHEN?