PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackpool, what are they playing at?
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2005, 11:26
As I See It

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blackpool, what are they playing at?

No doubt discussed on the forum before (couldn't find it in my brief search), but what are the new owners of Blackpool airport playing at?

A year or so ago BPL airport applied for planning permission to develop the dissused land by ANT and Blackpool air centre and create a large number of car park spaces. Nothing seemed to happen for some time and then out of the blue they started to clean the land up and start the development, the locals, unaware planning permission had been granted, and their fears/concerns answered, contacted the council who advised planning permission had not been granted, their inspectors turned up and the work stopped.

Following this the airport applied for a temporary car park and the residents were again moved to object unless certain assurances, which the airport would not agree on, were met. The development was not continued and nothing further heard about a car park.

Now the airport have applied for residential dewelling planning application for a number of semi-detached 2 & 3 bedroom houses and a 4 story apartement on the grass next to Bateson's hangar. A number of questions arise out of this:

Are developers really that desparate for a bit of land that they will build residential properties ON an aiport.

Are there really people who would want to live on a airport overlooking hangars and an Air Training Corps building.

Are the new owners of Blackpool airport that desparate to raise a buck they will stop at nothing, even the ridiculous, to generate cash.

Does this move indicate that all is not rosey with the finances of the airport, and that this development is only the tip of the iceberg with further airport land to be used for residential development.

Maybe someone with more of an idea can enlighten this PPRuner.

If nothing else, it's only As I See It