PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orlando Sanford International
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2001, 00:33
SFly

Cool Orlando Sanford International

Developments at Orlando Sanford International.

On 23 March 2001, SFB dedicated it's new domestic terminal, in a ceremony to mark the completion of the $27 million project.

The terminal, which was under construction from January 2000 to the present, adds 120,000 square feet to the terminal's existing area.

The original domestic terminal was closed and the western walls knocked down, and the new terminal was constructed there and hinged to the present one. The grass area between the general apron and the international traffic one was paved to make ramp space for the domestic terminal's traffic.

The terminal incorperates most of the original domestic area, as well as adds new offices for OSI (TBI). It includes a new check-in area, a new arrivals area as well as an upstairs departures area.

Extending northwest is the concourse, which adds seven new air-bridged gates to add to the terminal's existing five.

The terminal was built under the prospect of increased domestic traffic from Pan Am, as well as several other smaller domestic companies. Regular flights now serve the newly-opened terminal, to destinations that include St Louis, Chicago and Portsmouth, NH.

While the domestic traffic looks promising, the International terminal is still ruler of the waves at Orlando Sanford, with Airtours, Monarch, Air 2000, JMC and ATA-charter bringing in many of the total handled passengers (approx 1,000,000) yearly.

The new terminal addition also serves well for the international traffic, with a direct corridor and departures lounge to connect gates 6 - 8 to the 300,000 square foot international terminal as overflow.

Orlando Sanford expects a very busy summer season ahead - looking forward to it!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">I hope you liked that little article - I wrote it myself and tried to sound like a journo!</font>
SFly

[This message has been edited by SFly (edited 24 April 2001).]