PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue - Who's Telling the Truth?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2005, 21:32
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Ozzy and others, my criticism of Qantas is based on three things.

1. As it has the bulk of international capacity, the prices it charges has a direct effect on the quantity of inbound tourism. If there was more capacity at a lower price our tourism related industries would make a lot more than they do now.

2. The number and capacity of International direct flights into a city are a very very major determinant of the ability of that city to attract international investment as well as tourism. Qantas ensures that the bulk of its international flights arrive or depart from Sydney - to the disadvantage of Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and so on.

At least in the 1970's and early 80's, there was a deliberate conspiracy to ensure that every QF 747 flew into or out of Sydeny every trip, for all I know this is still going on today. I know, I suggested trying to break QF's monopoly on 747 turnarounds when AN tooled up for wide bodies, and I was pounded into the ground for it.

3. QF's purchases of aircraft make a very big hole in Australia's balance of payments - yet the aircraft of the national carrier are not used for the benefit of all Australians, just the lucky ones who live in Sydney.

Translation: What part of the words "Rotten stinking monopoly" don't you understand?