PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue - Who's Telling the Truth?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2005, 08:46
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Dear dear, here we have the last bastion of the protectionist league.

It has been axiomatic for at least the last 50 years that protection DESTROYS JOBS.

Qantas jobs are no different.

Today I bought an $89 two horsepower air compressor from Bunnings - made in China, together with $89 worth of air tools.

Five years ago the same gear would have cost me $1500 - made in Australia.

Do you think I should have refrained from this purchase and bought Australian?

Umm no, anymore than my fellow Australians did. Furthermore, for every job that is lost because of economic innefficeincy, at least two are created. Thats why Australia's unemployment rate is at an all time low. It would be even lower if it wasn't for the protected state of Qantas.

The reality is that if you QF types cannot provide the service, to the same cities, at the same price, then you deserve to go under bigtime, and you eventually will, bigtime.

Don't blame me for being the messenger, it's just reality. Each and every country and business does what it can do best, or it fails and the resources are deployed elsewhere. Thats progress.

Who gives a flying f*&^ if Qantas goes under if overseas tourists can then get to Australia for (say $150) instead of $1500? The tourism market will boom as a result, creating ten jobs for every one of the highly protected QF jobs?

Furthermore the Sydney centric bias also distorts the economy because it doen't allow overseas visitors and investors free access to all Australian capitals.

Translation: You QF types are as protected as Koalas and the rest of us Australians are paying through the nose to protect your f^&%^ing jobs.

Furthermore, we are sick of it! I do not know of anyone who will willingly fly QF Internationally! You are providing third world service and charging first world prices!

What more do I need to say? You are a wart on the bum of progress.