PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Serco, staying or going? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2005, 13:42
Tweety

AUH exodus

Ferris

Tks for your reply, I will take it from your repsonse that you guys are about 1/3 down on the roster and I believe there is still a few in thier resignation period, ouch!! Obviously, Serco is very much on the nose there

It would be a pity if they did get the contract back, they do not deserve it from what I can see. The GCAA would be better off throwing out the baby with the bathwater and giving direct hire a shot, and set the standard for the Gulf and pay at least 28,000 AED/mth +decent villa accommodation, schooling, fares, and all the usual stuff, if they are paying 2000AED per o/t shift then I do not see the difference, they are obviously able to dig deep when necessary.
remember it was not that long ago that Doha was paying less than AUH and taking on 3rd worlders as well, with no result. Then there last 2 white expats departed almost simultaneously and one was up on drug charges and they were on the bones of their arse. They finanlly realised they had to pay decent money to have a chance of snagging decent and capable staff, and I believe they are now paying 27,000 QAR /mth but the accom only avg and they still have not quite got it right, but they have the idea, so now it is time for AUH to follow. DIRECT IS BEST AND IT GIVES YOU MORE CONTROL.

On the matter of very few days off/fatigue , if there is a major deal because of this factor then you can bet ICAO will stick their nose in where the GCAA does not want it (like HK back in the 70's/80's) and they will be forced to pay with a big stick because the airspace will be blacklisted and RJ's hold on power will most likely see him on the slide, so if he has any smarts he will know what must be done and now!!

As for morale, my understanding from those who have been there over the last 15 years is that there has never been any, especially since Serco bought out IAL and some guy by the name of Grant Rumbles climbed the management ladder, and apparently has now fled the ME coup, he could see it coming.
So I ask what is your MATO (Rick Sharpe ?) doing about all this?

Anyway, I hope for you and the other guys there that things go the right way for a change.

If I am wrong about the number of staff you are short, please feel free to set the record straight.

What then are pay and conditions like in Dubai, I would have thought that the pay and conditons would have been fairly similiar to AUH as it is still a Serco contract is it not?!

TTFN

Tweety