PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The ideal degree course?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2005, 12:53
Blacksheep
Cunning Artificer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats more or less correct Ghengis. I'd like to see something that treats maintenance issues - technical support, planning, scheduling, airworthiness and other 'backroom' elements - with more academic rigour. At the moment we either have to take aeronautical or electrical/mechanical engineering graduates and indoctrinate them into aircraft maintenance or pick out the most thoughtful and analytical LAEs and train then up. Neither means of formation is ideal. We need maintenance professionals who undergo intellectual development targetted at the maintenancer field from the outset. With apologies to yourself, I find current aeronautical graduates too manufacturing focussed.

I can't recommend a single source reference book - I struggled along blindly myself, finding my own way with short courses here and there and picking relevant information from various aeronautical and electronic texts as well as avionic equipment and test equipment manufacturers manuals. My academic knowledge of statistics and experiment design came in useful too, while training courses on flight recorder analysis and accident investigation were useful in setting up flight data analysis in our own Tech Services section.

Maybe I've just found a useful project for my retirement in three or four years time?

Last edited by Blacksheep; 3rd Sep 2005 at 13:03.