PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modern Training erroding pilot skills
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2005, 15:31
A-FLOOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For example, it could be argued that if the automatics on the Turkish DC-10 at Paris had been left in then it may well have been able to do an auto-land back at Orly. (Without getting too involved, the hydraulics ran underneath the floor - which was catastrophically damaged - whereas the electrics for the autoland ran along the roof which was intact).
If I recall correctly no hydraulics=no control in a DC-10, electrics or no electrics.

So even if the crew used the automatics to try and raise the nose, it would have been equally useless as the main flight controls still wouldn't work.

Although I'm not sure if the DC-10 has an AC backup motor for the elevator trim like the 747 has, the only thing they could do (and which to my recollection they did), was try and raise the nose by increasing power on the number 1 and 3 engines. To no avail, I'm sad to say

Edited for correctness: The floor collapse following explosive depressurization jammed all of the control cables to the tail, including those for elevator trim and the number 2 engine. No mention of a hydraulic failure, which might suggest they still had roll control and control over their flaps/slats.

link

Last edited by A-FLOOR; 2nd Sep 2005 at 15:45.