PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modern Training erroding pilot skills
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2005, 14:31
nugpot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's easier to 'scan' dials than it is reading off a display
I strongly disagree, but I think that is a matter of preference and exposure.

I see a lot of posts mentioning simulators as a contributing factor in the lack of hand flying skills. Nothing stops you from hand flying the sim. In fact I find hand flying the a/c a lot easier than hand flying the sim.

I completely agree that basic flying skills (no automation) is the foundation of our profession and it is a fact that this needs to be practised to maintain proficiency. I do however have a problem when the first action when anything unusual happens, is the AP disconnect switch.

In my opinion if you want to fly airliners, you have to demonstrate and maintain a high level of skill/proficiency using full manual, full autoflight or any combination of the two.

Yes, the manual handling skills of the average airline pilot is probably lower than 20 years ago.
Yes, the autoflight skills of the average airline pilot is probably higher than 20 years ago.

I have never seen a pilot beat a proper autopilot in precision flying over anything longer than a few minutes.

A professional pilot will regularly practice his manual skills due to his professionalism and will use the autopilot when required. If you are in a situation where you need the manual skills of Chuck Yeagar, your manual practice on the odd approach or departure probably would not be enough in any case.

The most important consideration should be to avoid the situations where your superior manual flying skills are needed to save the day.

Jus som spellun currecsions.

Last edited by nugpot; 2nd Sep 2005 at 17:55.