PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Updated Crossair/Swissair Business Plan Revealed
Old 13th Dec 2001, 18:49
gofer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spag - beg to differ on some of that but thanks for the update:

Try:

Crossair's web page

it actually admits that the MD80's are in the fleet, and I flew 2 of them last week (ugh yukki tight pitched 'Y' seats to kill kneecaps. Fact is they are still flying, also confirmed by other sources (my daughters duty roster this month).

The other thoughts were that when converting to very flexi leases - its cheaper to run a brand new fleet than some of the better "well run in" models - in spite of what the 'Guv' might think. And if I remember correctly Airbus or one of the leasing co's has a handfull of A340's that have range to equal the SR MD11's with 20-25% more capacity and a lower fuel consumption and could be available - next week - if there was operating money to run them !

The A330's are OK for the medium haul of Africa, Middle East and USA but the US is a real loss leader at the moment.

Any other comments, now's your chance to give a new management all that good advice they could perhaps use...

As for ZRH, well at the moment it isn't all golden there at all - but the EUROCROSS traffic at Basel proves that those who have to take a dog-leg like to do it through a small & efficient airport (ups sorry ZRH) coz its quicker. With a high percentage of long haul having already pulled out of ZRH in the last 12 months (United & Cathay to name but 2) the dog leg to LHR, CDG, FRA & AMS becomes the NORM - and don't forget that BSL has a better approach and longer runway. The only in-built handicap in EAP is the French ATC, versus the ZRH handicap of an approach over Germany or Rwy 28 which is useless for a solid sized tin can. And to cap it all the FLUGZUG is more efficient than Zurich-AP - if only they would build that 500 meter spur-line to EAP.

[ 13 December 2001: Message edited by: gofer ]