PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Updated Crossair/Swissair Business Plan Revealed
Old 12th Dec 2001, 19:06
spagiola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm, you seem to be a little out of date on a number of things...

I think my vision would be:
- Flog the MD’s for whatever the market rate is – the PAX hate them and a refurbish isn’t really on the cards.
- Keep A330’s for a few Africa & ME routes and perhaps an NYC and the US future partner’s hub.
- Swap everything else for A340’s for the profitable FE and LATAM routes.
They need the MD-11s for longer routes, eg Japan, which ARE profitable, but not feasible by A330. And getting an all new type (A340s) right now when they have no money is not really feasible, although I can see this happening down the line (but not with -600s, as had been planned; more likely -300s).

In addition:
- Clean up the short haul fleet by have the DC’s go ASAP
Is over a year ago soon enough for you? All the MD-80s have been long gone.

- Eliminating the S2K’s for 145’s might be logical
Already planned. SAAB 340s and 2000s are being replaced with ERJ 145s and Embraer 170s.

- Keeping either AJ’s or A319’s, but not both, could get some further economies of scale, but whatever is selected the mid term 170/190’s must be remembered – they will be a lot more price performant than either of the others.
Avro RJs will be replaced by the Embraer 195s on order. AFAIK, the current plan does not call for any A319s to be kept, just A320s.

- Dumping ZRH as a Hub and moving it to BSL – only if a deal could be struck with the French ATC that guarantees NO STRIKES ??? Now there’s a novel idea.
ZRH is Switzerland's financial center. That's where most Swiss traffic originates, that's where most business travellers going to Switzerland go. ANd you want to drop that?