PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - Poor Maintanence
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2005, 23:34
Re-Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What may or may not appear to be structural or vital to even the most seasoned frequent flyer may or may not be of any importance at all to the structural integrity.

Before proceeding, and without both the photo and a verifiable 737-rated pilot or engineer on which to comment upon such a photo, this remains pure speculation and alarmism.

While I am not a professional pilot, my modicum of knowledge and private flying experience permits me to point out one thing - a large distinction between (a) the load-bearing structure connected internally and often within the wing to the wing box (if so designed), and (b) the skin itself.

I include below the full text of the article

TERRIFIED passenger John Cooper couldn't believe his eyes when he looked out of his aircraft window and saw that screws were missing from part of the wing.

So he took this shocking picture at 35,000ft of an apparent maintenance blunder by ground crew servicing the Ryanair Boeing 737.

An aviation expert warned that, if the cover housing the wing's flap mechanism had ripped free, it could have caused catastrophic damage.

The photo was taken just days before one of the worst months for air safety on record, when four jets crashed within two weeks, killing hundreds.

Engineer John had boarded the flight at Venice's Treviso Airport after a business trip and settled into a seat near the port, or left, wing for the twohour journey to Stansted.

The father of three quickly became aware of the potential for disaster when the captain fired up the engines to full power for take-off.

"I heard a tremendous din coming from the wing, " said 58year-old John. "It looked as if it was rattling around but I could not see clearly because of the vibration.

"Once we were cruising, I looked closer at the wing and engine cover and I noticed that part of the structure appeared to be held on by just a couple of screws, " said the frequent business flier. "When I had a good look I couldn't believe my eyes.

"Even though your brain is telling you 'That doesn't look quite right', you still assume that everything has been done to ensure your safety."

But when Mr Cooper studied the photograph at home in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, he realised that apparently shoddy maintenance may have exposed the 140 passengers to unnecessary risk.

"I'm not an aero-engineer so I don't know how important that part of an aircraft is, " he said.

"But if they can't be bothered to fit these screws properly in a place where it's obvious, what are they failing to do on the vital parts on the inside where we can't see?"

Chris Yates, aviation analyst for Jane's Transport, said: "This chunk of metal could have ripped off from the housing in mid-air and hit the tail, let's say the rudder. It could be catastrophic."

A Ryanair spokesman said: "We have confirmed with Boeing that the missing fasteners are not an inflight safety issue.

"It was noted on arrival and the missing fasteners were replaced."

Last edited by Re-Heat; 1st Sep 2005 at 19:30.