PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of Radio Altimeters
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2005, 15:22
Pierre Argh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
404 Titan... why are PPRuNer's so rude?...

I think I'm right in saying your radalt will not give you the height of ground directly beneath your aircraft if you're in a turn...

I bow to your apparently superior knowledge on Cat II & III ILS procedures; (although having completed a course on Instrument Approach Procedure Design many years ago the facts you alude to regarding terrain being considered in a procedure don't come flooding back to me... and would add we have to be careful to consider the similar but different systems in use around the world before making blanket statements on an Intl forum such as this?)

However, what is probably significant is that, on a Cat II or III ILS approach the lower procedure minima will almost invariably mean that the aircraft is over the airfield (if not over the runway) at DH? Not the same with a Cat I or Non-Px approach... where the pilot may find themselves a mile or more from the end of the runway at minima/MAP ?

I think, however we are saying basically the same thing, and don't feel the original post was from a Cat II or III capable pilot... but presume from the GA fraternity (I stand to be corrected... Connection Fee?), in which case I stick basically by my original statement with the addition... unless you have knowledge that special procedures are in force?