PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private Health Insurance - Who do you use for your provider?
Old 31st Aug 2005, 04:54
Lead Balloon

Received 426 Likes on 213 Posts
Don't Encourage the MotherF^&kers

Here in the good ol' US of A my employer pays $14K per year (US dollars not Pacific Pesos) for a "First Class" service that allows you to visit a doctor.

I still get a "co-payment" of $15 to $100 when one of my rug-rats has an ear infection.

By contrast, in Singapore, I walked off the street and had a consultation and drugs for AUD$50. (Again Kid's anti-biotics)

It's total bull**** and shouldn't be put up with. This is little Johnny's vision of Health care in Australia. Where the USA has the largest government spend per capita, the lowest amount of beds available per 1000 of population and the highest private contributions on the planet!! What is wrong with this picture??

In OZ, being blessed with living in Canberra, we had all of our children on the public system (1.5% OF MY TAX) and had superb service.

Here, the only people making the money are the insurance companies (note: they are not health care companies). I fear that is where Australia is heading.

I don't actually care, because I can afford it. But the average punter is being told lies about where this is taking them and the business community will be the ones who will be the only ones left with the capacity to pay a rapacious essential service that is dominated, not by medicos, but by actuaries.

Wait! Why do I care! The majority voted for this. Let them have it.

Buy lots of insurance, with the knowledge that you will never need it if you are really sick. But you will be helping to pay the major contributors to the Liberal party's coffers.

(edited to correct spelling)