PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Any speed for us London?"
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2005, 19:30
Cough

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We get hacked off constantly when we get you at 300+ knots 5 miles from GWC with A/C ahead. We have a good moan at En-route, but we do realise thast they need the speed to get your height off.
From a drivers perspective (if I may)...

Normally Willo arrivals from Kathy are given pretty much unrestricted descents. So sitting upstairs we program the Willo3C route in the FMC (with the restriction of 250kt/FL130 at GWC) in. Wizzy box of tricks comes up with a profile for us, which we will generally use.

Next normal thing...FL250 descending, the track mailage shortens through the use of direct Avant or radar headings. The net result is the same - the track mileage is a lot shorter. The result is we are high and need speed (and speedbrake quite often to make FL130 at GWC).

I have probably stated the obvious to you guys/gals, having seen it quite a few times...So a suggestion (again, if I may).

If its possible, give us direct Avant from an early stage (i.e. before TOD). This will ensure that the FMC comes up with the right profile before we close the thust levers. The alternative is a STAR clearance of ... 'radar vectors towards Avant for a Willo3C'. [Probably didn't get the words quite right, just trying...] This way the FMC will get twiddled (nice word...) to refect the clearance and the 250 knot restriction at GWC can be met.

And yes, I would love to come down. Seen West Drayton once, but I was with a big group so it wasn't very personal...