PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 60 Battle vs ALPA
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2005, 14:42
MPH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

LHR Rain:
Now that I know you understand the meaning of the word ‘discrimination’! Might I also inform you that in most European countries and in the USA it is illegal to discriminate on the bases of gender, race, religion and age. So this ‘cocked’ up idea that you have in saying, that when I signed up, I knew the age limit, is a bit obscure. Why, because the limitations stipulated are only valid in a labor agreement and do not overrule the law of the land. So, how is it that we are to think that an agreement with an employer overrules the law of a land? Lets be honest the age limitation is set, in most of the labor agreements that I know of, only to facilitate and accelerate the promotion on the seniority list. And, of course, to be able to formulate the contributions for the pension plan to which, the employer and employee contribute and which have been meticulously calculated to the last month and hour. Does this make it legal or otherwise? The JAR says that we are allowed to fly RH or left up to the age of 65yrs. In my opinion it should be up to the individual to able to choose if fit medically and technically, that is. And not be told what to do with his life, which in most cases does not bear on choice but on circumstances! Some like to knit, sail, garden or cook. Good for them! Others like to fly and because they have to work!