PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Air Training
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2005, 14:35
Stone Cold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not so much with the ground instructors (you never really see them), it is mainly the sim instructors with a attitude problem not all of them but most of them, all but 1 on my course don't know about the Airbus guys they may be different.

I understand that CTC was a good training company years ago but I think it's all gone to their head!

Another thing that would make some of us experienced guys laugh was the school report since we are treated like children, regardless of the performance of the cadet he would always generally get a glowing report with good progress ticked despite taking 30 minutes to get a GPWS recovery correct because they kept overstressing the aircraft or landing to the side of the runway and this was generally withheld from the report, where as the experienced guys regardless of their performance would only get a normal progress at best with lots of things written up in the report saying this was wrong that was wrong despite how insignificant it was. I know that CTC would prefer the cadets and I understand why they always had glowing reports it's because the cadets are a product of CTC.

After CTC the cadet will feel on top of the world, he/she has had a excellent report and praise from the instructors. Then they go to the airline for base training just before the line training and that's when the problems start. All of a sudden the cadet realises things are not going well when they are on their 14th circuit and they should have finished by their 8th circuit, some don't even complete the base training because the training capatin needs to get other guys through and they are sent back to the sim for further training, their confidence has taking a bit of a hit and they struggle through the line training and again sent back to the sim for more training and eventually some of them were chopped with the cadet wondering what went wrong since they had such good reports from CTC.

Another thing that amazed me was that smoke in the cockpit was not taught in the sim only discussed which is not good enough. Smoke in the cockpit is one of the most scariest things that can happen, it was ok for me I have seen it and practiced it many times in the sim from my previous company but when I asked why it was not being shown to the cadets because I thought it was vital for them to go through the excercise to see what it's like and how difficult it is to see the instruments I was given a totally lame excuse that if they did it would set off the fire alarms in the building what total bo!!ocks. If this happens in real life and the cadets are inexpericened then the captain will feel very alone in dealing with the situation. As many captains that I know will always say "cadets are good at pushing buttons but when the sh!t hits the fan and they are knocked of the rails a little bit you can find yourself on your own".

I don't blame the cadets and I'm not having a go at them they were good guys and girls on my course but I think it is in the interest of the cadet that the training provider should pracitce has many types of emergencies as possible to prepare the inexpericend cadet to be able to deal with potential emergencies that may appear on the line and that the sim instructors started teaching to operate the aircraft in a standard way rather than have their own way of doing it.

Very poor in my opinion!