PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 30th Aug 2005, 12:42
silentbob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a tough one.

The thing is, a newly qualified pilot will find it hard to get work, competition is tough. 10,000 Euros wont go terribly far, and when money becomes tight the training loses momentum.

To me it's a no brainer, get a financial management degree. Get a job that pays enough to do flying as a hobby, it will build your hours a little before getting commercial qualifications.

I did a degree flight training course (out of UK) and ended up with a good education that means squat when you don't have enough flight experience. I also owe about £25k to a student loan scheme and am working some crummy office job in London because (apparently) an aviation degree isn't relevant enough to get into a good graduate job.

You are young and you shouldn't feel bad about working 'til you are 30 or so in Finance, Its still going to leave you with 30 plus years to pursue a flying career. Which is still along time to spend wedged into a cockpit.

When I started out I thought it would be the coolest job in the world, but there are drawbacks too. Starting out as a hobby will allow you to get as involved as you want, and you can see whether a full-on career in the industry suits you.

I hope this helps....?