PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest Divert Time. Que?
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2005, 10:21
TAC On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Latest Divert Time. Que?

Recent discussion on another thread highlighted the fact that there are some serious differences in interpretation of just exactly what is a "Latest Divert Time" [LDT], where is it positioned and what happens when it expires.

Noticeably absent from the discussion was input from ATC, probably because they were distracted by the "fuel policy" issue.

We have an opportunity to use PPRUNE as an educational tool, as it is one of the quickest and easiest conduits for eliciting opinion, sorting the wheat from the chaffe, and improving the overall level of understanding.

When ATC ask for and are given an "LDT" what do they understand that they are being given. What do they expect of the PIC when he reaches that time?

As a PIC, what are you giving ATC when you nominate a LDT. How do you calculate it. What are you going to do if you reach that time?

To start the ball rolling:

My latest divert time is the latest time at which I can reach the minima, and from that point land, or divert to alternate and land with mandatory reserves intact. In my current company mandatory reserves are overidden by a more conservative "Minimum Fuel Polcy", which dictates the minimum fuel with which I can land at my alternate.
If at anytime during holding/manouvering, it becomes obvious that I cannot reach the MINIMA by the nominated LDT, I must divert, to preserve my Minimum Fuel obligation, even if that means not trying an approach.

ATC and others, What are your thoughts.

TAC ON