PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MPA bars
Thread: MPA bars
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2005, 04:51
16 blades

Short Blunt Shock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20 mins actually, but still next to useless. There are only two places on this planet that I have visited and been unable to get a mobile phone signal - one of those is the Falklands, the other is my kitchen!

BEags, you are not going to win this argument. I fully agree that mess dress regs are a pain in the arse, and that the nature of the place demands some after-hours drinking if one is to remain sane. Having said that, the Goose is STILL a pain in the arse, and populated by arrogant fag-chariot drivers / passengers (who invite you to their bar and then proceed to spend the next 2 hours either ignoring you or telling you how great they are and how insignificant you are in comparison). Do you think the fact that the Goose survived the 'bar cull' has anything to do with who provides the heirarchy in MPA? The Vic was a far superior boozer, and was far enough from those who wished / needed to sleep as to not cause disturbance. It DID however, as timmy's does now to an extent, rely on somebody laying on transport.

However, I'm hardly surprised at your views, being a (former) obsolete-airliner-driver - your days there will have been spent on permanent Q, thereby not giving a **** WHAT bars were open. As others here have suggested, have a thought for your fellow man!

Castaways still has potential, if only it could stock a better range of imbibements than the current 'yellow / brown / red / go thirsty' options. Timmy's has now re-opened as an 'official' bar of sorts - and as with the Vic, it isn't right next door to / directly above some poor sod that might want to get some sleep as they've got an 0230 report for a south sandwich run - something the Goose is routinely guilty of.

The Chard is still alive and well, but as is typical with the Army, you can't have a drink there with your entire crew as it's an Officer's only affair, and there's a dress code, leaving opening times as the only advantage over the mess. There is a HUGE market gap at the moment, which could be filled with a bit of imagination from 1312flt (the ONLY aircrew unit that currently do NOT have a bar/ large crewroom facility in the block). You need the following, IMHO:

1: Bar needs to be within walking distance of accomodation.
2: Bar needs to be isolated from main accomodation areas, so as not to attract criticism / complaints from those who NEED to go to bed!
3: Bar needs to stock a FULL range of drinks, not just a fridge full of cans.
4. Bar needs to be invite only, to avoid gate crashing by squaddies after hours.

A couple of portakabins out the back of 'Albert Hall' maybe?

16B