PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When Declaring an ’Emergency’ Is Not Enough
Old 29th Aug 2005, 09:10
delta3
Passion Flying Hobby Science Sponsor Work

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emergency

A week ago in that bad weather hitting Switzerland, I had my part of that weather and had to put the Heli down several times, one even inside Lyon CRT.

I am not very proud the way I handled this at first, but some thoughts

- I looked several times at the aircraft disaster documentaries at Nat Geo, and feel that very many of them had to say the least -a communication- problem. (The DC-8 crashing without fuel in NY, the Swiss MD-11 etc). I think that some has to do with the pilots pride or ego call it the way you want, to keep up appearances as long as possible because he still is in charge and not meant to 'beg' for or rely on assistance. That attitude may skew the communication.

- I finally got straight with Lyon ATC and they helped me wonderfully, gave me a permanent code, so each time i could move they had me on radar before establishing communication (in fact they called me before I could, when they saw me move). Even at the ground via cell phone ATC give me latest doppler radar readings to get me out the storm. I am really greatfull to these guys.

So maybe it is not just semantics between 'emergency' and 'PAN' or 'MAYDAY', but being clear (in your own head) on what you are asking from and telling to ATC.

d3

Last edited by delta3; 29th Aug 2005 at 09:56.