PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why "British Army"?
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2005, 08:41
Farmer 1

Combine Operations

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nil nos tremefacit,

Yes, I remember the heirs and successors bit. I was sixteen at the time. I don't remember any conditions attached, and as far as I am concerned, nothing has changed. I am still bound by that oath. That probably makes me old-fashioned. Sobeit.

If I may have an old joke (they're sometimes the best) at your expense:
I'd rather swear an oath to Liz than Tony Blair and his cronies. That would require a pay rise of monumental proportions.
A chap went to a party and met a lady who was obviously way above his station in life. He really fancied her, and he introduced himself, and drew her to one side. After a couple of suitable compliments on her beauty etc., he says, "I must ask you a question. Please do not be offended, and think very carefully before you answer. Would you go to bed with me if I gave you £100,000?"

The lady is suitably shocked, but as requested, she thinks for a while, before replying in the affirmative. After all, that's an awful lot of money.

"Great," says our hero. "Would you go to bed with me if I gave you £50?"

"£50! Certainly not! What do you think I am?"

"We established that with the first question. Now we're negotiating the price."

So, Nil nos tremefacit, what's your price? Similar to mine, I would guess.

Rakshasa,

Would you mind explaining the bit about Charlemagne, and back into which particular peninsula he shoved us?

Farmer.