PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 60 Battle vs ALPA
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2005, 06:59
330 Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LHR Rain,

Thanks for the clarification on the United pension. It sounds as though their MEC did the same as the Usair MEC. Is it wrong for the pilots to not be able to vote on their own pension? You Bet it is. Unfortunately that is the ALPA way. Do not ever think that ALPA representation is some form of utopia, or that the MEC has your best interest at heart. They did very little for me over the years. Now if I would have had a medical problem or a violation from the FAA, ALPA is the best thing going for solving those problems. Think of the dues as insurance payments and nothing more.

As to your second question, yes you must sit and take it. You can not ignore a court order, period. I know it does not seem right to you, nor to the rest of us for that matter. I did not believe it was possible to take my retirement until it happened, and I am sure that most of those who have gone through this will say the same. We all remember the Maxwell case in the UK and assumed that it could no longer happen. But it can and does.

What does your United friend say about recourse? Are they trying to get the pension reinstated? I wish them well as it be very diffacult.

One last thought. After many years in this business, I have come to the conclusion that "infinate wisdom, ALPA, and MEC" should never be in the same paragraph! Oil and water at it's best!

Take care, and thanks for the clarifacation.

330 man