PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MPA bars
Thread: MPA bars
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2005, 06:07
BEagle

Received 323 Likes on 115 Posts
I shall not rise to your bait of abusive personal comment, RoC, which in any case is utterly irrelevant.

Examine the original raison d'etre for the 'unit' bars. That no longer exists. As I wrote earlier, it is the state of the 'official' bars which deserves scrutiny. When I was first there 19 years ago, the official mess bars were very popular and social life thrived. But over the years people became increasingly disenchanted with everything from the bar prices to the stupid dress requirements; as a result, the unofficial drinking dens became increasingly popular. Regrettably, those who ran them didn't always do it well - and the disruption to the many caused by the antics of the thoughtless few in the Goose very nearly led to its closure after the third evacuation in 2 weeks caused by smoke alarms. However, it was given a gypsy's and things improved for a while.

That was the effect. Perhaps the cause merits further assessment? Why, for example, should anyone some 8000 miles from civilisation be obliged to abide by a dress code more formal than anything required at their home base? That just drives people into an alternative society, not a particularly healthy state of affairs.

Of course the fact that people are thousands of miles away from home defending the place from a non-existent threat doesn't help.