PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time to give your ages away, Rotorheads!
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2001, 15:17
helidrvr

No way to avoid this one, I guess. My R/W conversion course was completed in British Columbia on Bell 47G3-B1's (the turbocharged version, for those of you who forgot). This was at a time when the '47 was still the principal bush workhorse - hmmm, make that workbird. With the turbocharger she was great in the Rockies. I flew two full seasons in B.C. and the Yukon on 47's before upgrading to the Hughes 500 (A model, if you please).

My most memorable '47 flight was the emergency evacuation of a heart attack patient from a bush camp in the middle of a moonless night (oh the hubris of youth). The patient was sitting upright, with his brother between us to keep him from toppling into my lap. No radio navaids of course. Fortunately, I knew the local topography really well and had VASIS experience from my F/W days.

For visibility and pure sense of flying there never was anything like it after. With that bubble and the console off to the right, you had absolutely nothing in front or below you to interfere with the view.

------------------
You are welcome to visit HELIDRVR here