PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France crash at YYZ (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2005, 08:49
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never trained go around due long land ! And agree that unprepared most would, given the situation over threshold, end doing the same as happened here.
I don't agree that most people would try to land out of a long land situation rather than go around
FC - your situation was more typical of being trained for - a poor outcome to the landing, a bounce, drifting to edge of runway....

We did actually do some training in this area a few sims back. Came after the QF BKK accident... and an incident a little closer to home. The key was a comment made in both cases along the lines of "get it down", and trying to impress that maybe the correct response to this was "GA....". As I said, I have subsequently had the (mis)fortune to put this into practice, only at the cost of my Pax's nerves, and the subsequent PA "Welcome to ABZ for the second time this evening..."

NB this crew may have had the following factors to add to this:
1. High App Speed anyway due full aircraft
2. May have added a few knots for the weather - in fact, almost certainly did...
3. Tailwind may have spoilt their day in the very late stages, and Thrust response added a few more knots...
4. All the above leads to a very high groundspeed...
5. The (localised) poor vis will have removed many of the visual cues of a long flare / float...
6. And that's before we get into fatigue / LH lack of handling etc.

The lack of visual cues, and high GS, could mean that the float did not necessarily seem excessive...

All I am saying is that there is no definitive measure we have, or are trained for, as to what constitutes an excessively long float that demands a GA. As with most accidents, suspect we'll find a lot of "a few % here" and "a few % there" led to a situation that got out of hand...

There are various technological solutions thay could help. One of the more complex (!) would be those boards they have at Mil Airfields... you know the ones that have a single digit every 1000' e.g. '5' means 5000' LDA left. Not difficult to brief "if we have not touched down by 6000' to go, we must GA..."

NoD

PS I have always maintained it is easier to stop, then land, than v-v