PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF VR(T) Officers in your Mess
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2005, 16:07
idle stop

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What an interesting set of observations. It is good to see that some old traditions (sorry are we (ex-)Crabs allowed traditions?) do not die. And a shame that some of these common courtesies don't spill out into other walks of life more often.
Vage Rot: just a small point, but, unless the rules have changed without my noticing, RAFVR(T) pilots doing Air Experience have always had to have been QSP at some time: they don't get a pilots brevet just because they are AEF pilots.
I have a lot of time for those who give up theirs for the ATC and CCF. Apart from several years during my own RAF service when I flew 'part-time' with a couple of AEFs and did some ATC/CCF Summer Camp flying, I had been a VR(T) officer for a couple of years between UAS and joining the RAF full-time; then the ATC was quite well resourced by the MoD and a fertile recruitment ground for both officer and other-rank entry to the forces. I suspect that the resourcing has fallen, but hope that the spirit lives on. Some VR(T) officers are ex-regulars, possibly there are still a few left who did National Service, but the others get a rudimentary few days of IOT: so please encourage and mentor these chaps.

PS: Since originally posting this I have seen the 'Air Cadet Instructor' thread. Good to see this discussion.

Last edited by idle stop; 27th Aug 2005 at 16:27.