PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL at Oxford Aviation
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2005, 10:08
Blighty Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't wish to put a downer on things but I would imagine you will find it difficult to get your first job. On average (certainly over the past few years anyway) it takes approximatly 15-24 months to get your first lucky break - but the industry is changing at the moment and there is a lot of expansion planned for the next few years.

I can imagine someone like yourself would be best to achieve as high a grade as you possibly can at OATS and then target airlines such as flybe, Eastern Airways or some of the smaller turboprop operators (being paid roughly £19-28k per year). This will be a good way to build your hours and experience and the company is likely to invest in you as the training risk/costs are not as high as working for a jet operator. Once you have gained this experience you shouldn't have any problem with moving onto a bigger airline. When you do move onto a bigger airline/ jet operator you then have to choose carefully as you will probably be close to 45 and you will be sat in the right hand seat for a period of time - depending on merit and seniorority - before taking the leap and significant payrise to the left hand seat.

I don't know what teachers get paid but what I can say is unless your extreamly lucky it will be a while before your earning big bucks - but at the end of the day if it's something you've always wanted to do you have to go out and do it otherwise you will regret it in the years to come.

All the best,
BP