PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British v American approach to flying
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2002, 13:25
virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is an arrogance in the British character which makes us assume that we're the best in the world at everything. CAA types think they know more about aviation than anyone else in the world. They regard the FAA as an upstart which has to be tolerated, and don't think they could possibly have anything to learn form the FAA. Wrong!!!

There's a big difference between the UK and US approach to flying generally. The CAA still seems to regard flying as an unnatural and dangerous activity which needs to be tightly regulated. The FAA seems to regard flying as just another means of transport.. .Generally, the UK Regs are "Can't do, unless ..." and the US Regs are much more "Can do, unless ...."

Although personalities come into it, dealing with the FAA is bliss compared with the CAA. The FAA seem to want to help you fly, the CAA always seem to want to find some technicality to stop you, or make it more difficult. . .I suppose the CAA is no better, no worse than any other civil service department in this country. ie terrible! Years ago, I worked at UK and US small operators and flying schools. In the States, nobody was that bothered when the FAA visited, all quite friendly, professional and helpful. Here, when the CAA were due to visit, there was always anxiety and when they came, you got the clear impression that they were trying to find something wrong. Trying to catch you out on something petty. I know 'the grass is always greener' etc, but give me the less petty, more professional and more grown-up approach of the FAA any time.